Whether you want to hire a car in the UK or abroad, there are some basic things you need to consider before venturing into the market place. It pays to do your research and have all that you need to hand before hiring a car and then follow our simple 4 steps to ensure a smooth road ahead.
- How do I hire a car?
- What information do I need to provide when hiring a car?
Hiring a rental car gives you the freedom to travel around the destination of your choice at your own pace, however there are some things you need to be aware of in order to make it a straightforward experience.
Be clear on the pick up and drop off location that is most convenient for you. For example if you wish to hire a car in London, is it easier for your pick up location to be direct from the airport, the station or would you prefer an inner city location? Your car hire company will be able to give you the range of options but just make sure you have booked the most convenient place for you.
What type of car do you require? Car hire companies will have a range of different types of vehicle available, depending on the demand and time of year. So it is worth considering what you will be using your car for and how much space you require. The majority of car hire companies will be able to offer small, medium and large cars as well as estate, SUV and premium range cars. Prices range considerably depending on which option you choose, but be assured a car can be tailored to suit your individual requirements.
It is time to collect your car and you’ll need to make sure you have the following documents on you:
- A valid driving licence
- A credit card in your own name to cover the deposit/excess amount on arrival
- A code to present to the rental agent in order for them to check for penalty points. This is obtained from the DVLA website and more information can be found here.
- Confirmation of the booking is useful, but not always necessary.
Enjoy your hire car!
The main points to consider when hiring a car are:
- Decide on a convenient pick up and drop off location
- Consider what size of vehicle you need
- Check for additional charges, such as a young driver or additional driver surcharge
- Ensure you have a credit card, for booking and presenting on arrival
- Obtain a driving licence code from the DVLA website