Greece is a popular destination with Rhino Car Hire Customers and with the peak holiday months fast approaching we thought it was worth sharing some tips on how to stay safe in your hire car this summer.
A recent report from the European Transport Safety Council has found that Greece
has the highest number of deaths from single vehicle road collisions in the European Union. A sobering thought given that road accidents of this type accounted for 42% of road fatalities. The report also stated that the highest group for fatalities came from young drivers, in the 18-24-age bracket.
Road safety is of course a big concern throughout Europe and something all hire car drivers should bear in mind when driving abroad; the roads may be unfamiliar, the rules slightly different, this plus differences in culture and language can make for more difficult driving conditions. For country specific driving information including, speed limits and the rules of the road please see our Drive Smart Guides
and search by country. Read our full Drive Smart Guide for Greece here
The table below illustrates the top 5 countries with the highest proportion of fatal Single Vehicle Collisions (SVC) in the EU.
What can you do to keep safe when driving abroad?
We want you to get the maximum enjoyment from your rental car when driving abroad and that is possible as long as you are prepared and know what to do, to keep yourself and others safe.
- Understand and stick to the speed limits
- Plan your route before driving – are there dangerous roads that are best avoided?
- Carry the correct equipment with you (safety warning triangle, glasses, water etc.)
- Be aware of local customs
- Research the local Highway Code – do you know what the main signs mean?
- Consider hiring an automatic vehicle – many customers find this easier when driving on a different side of the road.