A guide to the toll roads (or vignette) in Austria:
has an excellent road system, making driving there a pleasurable experience. However all road users are subject to a toll when driving on the Austrian motorways (‘Autobahn’) and ‘S’ roads. A vignette (a large sticker) must be displayed on the left hand edge or behind the inside rear view mirror of the windscreen of the car. This should be displayed correctly as soon as it is purchased, as failure to do so will result in a large on the spot fine.
Where can I buy a vignette?
A vignette can be purchased from Austrian Automobile Clubs in addition to post offices, newsagents and petrol stations. It can also be purchased online at www.tolltickets.com.
How much does the vignette cost?
- A 12 month sticker for private cars and motorhomes up to 3.5ft is €85.70
- A 12 month sticker for motorcycles is €34.10
- A 2 month sticker for private cars and motorhomes up to 3.5ft is €25.70
- A 2 month sticker for motorcycles is €12.90
- A 10-day sticker for private cars and motorhomes up to 3.5ft is €8.80
- A 10-day sticker for motorcycles is €5.10
There are separate prices and requirements for vehicles exceeding 3.5 ft.
The compulsory toll roads:
Hire cars and Toll Roads in Austria:
- A9 - Pyhrn Motorway: Bosruck Tunnel
- A9 - Pyhrn Motorway: Gleinalm Tunnel
- A10 - Tauern Motorway: Tauern and Katschberg Tunnels
- A11 - Karawanken Motorway: Karawanken Tunnel
- A13 - Brenner Motorway: Entire route
- A13 - Brenner Motorway: Exit Stubai
- S16 - Arlberg Motorway: Arlberg Road Tunnel
Austrian registered hire cars
should already have a vignette, however if you are hiring a car from outside of Austria it is the driver’s responsibility to purchase and display a vignette. This needs to be done immediately after purchase in order to avoid fines. Do contact your car hire company if you are unsure.