Richmond Airport Car Hire Guide - Virginia
Richmond International Airport (RIC) serves as a pivotal entry point to Virginia's vibrant capital. With its rich historical legacy and emerging modern renaissance, Richmond offers visitors a taste of both worlds. Renting a car at RIC ensures a seamless journey to the heart of the city and beyond.
Richmond International Airport is located in Sandston, a mere 7 miles southeast of downtown Richmond.
- Richmond Airport to Downtown Richmond: Approximately 7 miles via S Airport Drive and I-64 W. Duration: 15 minutes.
Exit Roads from the Airport:
- Primary exit: S Airport Drive, connecting directly to the interstate.
- To access I-64, take S Airport Drive. This interstate can guide you both eastward and westward around Virginia.
While Virginia has several toll roads, the primary area around Richmond with tolls is the Richmond Metropolitan Transportation Authority expressway system. Make sure your rental car has a working EZ Pass transponder if you plan on using toll roads or consider paying in cash.
The major highways and roads in and around Richmond are generally well-maintained. However, be wary of occasional potholes or roadwork, especially on smaller streets or rural areas beyond the city.
Richmond, like many urban centers, can experience traffic congestion during morning and evening rush hours. It's advisable to plan your driving schedule around these times, especially when heading into or out of the downtown area.
Driving Customs & Rules Specific to Virginia:
- Headlights: Virginia law requires drivers to use headlights when wipers are in use due to inclement weather.
- Seat Belts: All front-seat passengers and any rear-seat passengers under 18 must wear seat belts.
- Cell Phones: It's illegal to use handheld mobile devices while driving in Virginia.
Tips for Hiring a Car in Richmond Airport:
- Inspection: Always inspect the rental car for any existing damage before leaving the airport.
- Navigation: Ensure the vehicle is equipped with a GPS or use a reliable smartphone navigation app like Google Maps to navigate the region.
- Fuel: While there are plenty of gas stations in Richmond, it's advisable to refuel the tank before returning the vehicle to avoid additional charges.
- Size Matters: If you're primarily exploring the city, a compact car might suffice. However, for those looking to explore Virginia's diverse landscapes, consider an SUV.
Richmond, with its historical landmarks and evolving cultural scene, offers a diverse experience. Renting a car from Richmond International Airport equips you with the freedom to explore this Southern gem at your pace. Ensure you're aware of local driving customs and always prioritize safety for a memorable Virginian journey.
If you’re wondering where to get the best deal on car hire at Richmond Airport, look no further than Rhinocarhire.com where you’ll find that we’ve done all the hard work to find the best deals amongst our competitors.