Daily Car Hire Rates in Corvera Airport
*daily rates in Corvera Airport based on a 1 day rental (24hr period) and for guidance purposes only.
*average daily rates based on 7 day rental, search for todays best prices.
Corvera Airport Car Hire - Did You Know?
- The airport at Corvera is initially named Murcia International Airport, only just distinguishable from the current Murcia San Javier International
- At three million, it will initially have a capacity slightly higher than that of San Javier but rising through five, then eight and finally fourteen million passengers
- San Javier Airport will close on the day that the new airport opens although that date still isn't clear
- The completion of the airport was delayed because of the recession and austerity measures which hit Spain particularly hard but now by legal wranglings
Corvera Airport Timeline
11 years in the making, the airport has lay dormant (albeit fully constructed) for years and is finally undergoing final testing and commissioning of support services. Take a look back at the History of Corvera Airport here, click image for full version.
Corvera Airport Mini Guide
How Will the Opening of Murcia International Airport Affect my Holiday?
Flying into Murcia San Javier meant that you arrived very close to the coastal resorts whilst the new Murcia International Airport (Corvera Airport) is considerably more inland but closer to the city of Murcia. There have been complaints from villa owners and hotel chains over the inconvenient positioning of the airport but the authorities cite the lack of sufficiently cheap land around the present airport and the need for it to serve the business needs of the city of Murcia.
How Easy Will it be to get to Región de Murcia International Airport?
You needn’t worry about a lack of flights. All the flights currently going to San Javier will transfer to Región de Murcia International Airport on the day it opens and to ensure the success of the new airport, the authorities are extensively lobbying the airlines to provide more routes. Overall it will be easier to fly to Murcia International Airport but until a definite opening date is announced you won’t know which airport you’re heading to.
What is Corvera Airport Like?
The airport is beautiful and spacious and with excellent facilities. It’s been built so as to be able to increase operating capacity by adding modular units as and when needed. There are 1,700 parking spaces at the airport should you wish to leave a car there. Car hire company desks will be located landside in the arrivals hall and you’ll be able to collect your pre-booked hire car from immediately outside their offices in a dedicated hire car park.
Retail space extends to 2,800m2
on the first floor with a further 800m2
on the lower level. An extensive range of shops is hoped for with tenders currently being considered. The shops will be interspersed with food outlets ranging from fast food to a traditional Spanish restaurant. At least one bank is being planned together with two currency exchange offices. As you’d expect, free Wi-Fi is included for the business traveller and there are medical facilities should you feel unwell during your travels.
Latest Update from Corvera Airport:
- COMING SOON - Corvera Airport is scheduled for completion in early 2013 and anticipated passenget flights are expected in time for summer 2013.
- Despite the hype and hope, there is still no definite date for the opening of Corvera Airport and an indication of the length of the delay can be seen by the introduction of new flights at Murcia San Javier this summer. Don't hold your breath!
- EasyJet and Jet2 have confirmed flights from January and March 2019 respectively, existing flights booked beyond this will be transferred to Corvera Airport, the long awaited new facility will welcome it's first commercial flights in January 2019 and look forward to a busy summer schedule.