Murcia is a very good place to visit as much of its economy is geared towards tourism and entertainment with a high proportion of museums, theatres, cinemas and restaurants in the city. There is no airport in Murcia so your best bet is to fly into Alicante Airport
and rent a car for the scenic trip of around 75 kilometres south along the Costa Brava.
Benefits of Hiring a Car in Murcia, Spain:
- Freedom and Flexibility: With a car, you can explore Murcia's diverse landscapes at your own pace, from its lush orchards to the stunning coastline.
- Discover Hidden Gems: Venture to lesser-known beaches, traditional villages, and historic sites often overlooked by tourists.
- Proximity to Other Regions: Murcia is bordered by other enticing regions like Andalusia and Valencia, making road trips incredibly rewarding.
- Scenic Drives: The region boasts a rich tapestry of terrains, from the Mediterranean coast to mountainous areas and vast plains.
Nearest Airport and Route:
- Región de Murcia International Airport is the primary airport serving Murcia.
- Distance: It's located about 25 km southeast of Murcia city center.
- Route: Upon leaving the airport, you can take the RM-16 followed by the A-30, leading straight to Murcia's city center.
Recommended Places to Visit in Murcia:
- Murcia Cathedral: An impressive cathedral showcasing a mix of Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque architectural styles.
- Real Casino de Murcia: A 19th-century club with lavish interiors, offering a glimpse into the city's aristocratic past.
- Plaza Cardenal Belluga: The city's main square and a perfect place to soak up the local ambiance.
- Museo Salzillo: Dedicated to the famed sculptor Francisco Salzillo, showcasing his intricate religious figures.
- Cartagena (approx. 50 km): A historic port city with rich Roman heritage, including a Roman theater.
- Mar Menor (approx. 70 km): Europe's largest saltwater lagoon, known for its therapeutic mud baths and sandy beaches.
- Sierra Espuña Regional Park (approx. 65 km): A verdant natural park perfect for hiking, bird watching, and enjoying breathtaking views.
- Calblanque Regional Park (approx. 60 km): Boasting pristine beaches, dunes, and cliffs, it's a haven for nature enthusiasts.
Renting a car in Murcia allows travelers to delve deep into the heart of Spain's southeast. The city, with its Baroque grandeur and vibrant atmosphere, is the tip of the iceberg. Beyond its limits, the region offers a diverse landscape with unique coastal towns, ancient ruins, and natural parks. Whether it's the sun-kissed beaches or the gastronomic delights of the orchards, a hired car can transform your Murcian adventure into an unforgettable journey.