The most popular car rental agents in Fuerteventura are:
- Hertz (Tel: +34 928 53 58 42)
- Avis Tel: +34 928 09 23 30)
- Enterprise (Tel: +34 928 53 65 21)
- Thrifty (Tel: +34 928 53 58 42)
- Europcar (Tel: +34 911 50 50 00)
Other pickup locations for car hire in Fuerteventura:
- Budget : Lugar Aeropuerto De Fuerteventura, 0 S N, 35600 Puerto del Rosario, Las Palmas
- Hertz: Av. Ntra. Sra. del Carmen, 35660 Corralejo, Las Palmas
- CICAR: Centro comercial Atlantico Local 35, Av. Ntra. Sra. del Carmen, s/n, 35660 Corralejo
- Avis: Avda Ntra Sra Carmen 70 Centro Com Las Palmeras Loc 5b, 35660 Corralejo
- Enterprise: Estacion Maritina De, 35640 Corralejo, Las Palmas
- Thrifty: Av. Ntra. Sra. del Carmen, 10, 35660 Corralejo
- Europcar: Aeropuerto De Fuerteventura, FV-2, S/N, 35610 Puerto del Rosario
Most popular rental car models in Fuerteventura:
- Mini: Ford Ka (Sixt, 8.1/10)
- Economy: Opel Corsa (Enterprise, 8.3/10)
- Compact: Renault Megane (Budget, 7.8/10)
- Estate: Skoda Fabia Estate (TopCar, 7.9/10)
- SUV: Renault Captur (Dollar, 7.8/10)
- 7 Seater Minivan: Peugeot 5008 (Enterprise, 8.3/10)
- Convertible: Volkswagen Beetle Convertible (TopCar, 7.9/10)
- 9 Seater Minivan: Renault Traffic (Dollar, 7.8/10)
Tips for hiring a car in Fuerteventura:
- Book as early as possible to achieve the best deal, 4-6 months before you travel is ideal
- Pick up from the airport if you can, there are more rental agents here which increases competition and keeps prices low
- Hire an SUV if you can afford, prices start from around 12 EUR per day for a small SUV
- Trust our customer ratings to get the best service and quality of rental car
Is it worth hiring car in Fuerteventura?
As a relatively small island, hiring a car in Fuerteventura is a great way to get around the explore beyond your resort. Taxi's are an option, however the cost for a day trip to and from attractions would likely be way more than the cost of renting a car. Fuel is cheaper in the Fuerteventura than Spain as there is not VAT making the cost of running a rental car in Fuerteventura lower.
How old do you have to be to hire a car in Fuerteventura?
The standard minimum age to rent a car in Fuerteventura is 25, however drivers from as young as 21 can rent a car in Fuerteventura but will be subject to a young driver surcharge of upto 25 EUR per day.
Fuerteventura Mini Guide
Fuerteventura is a wild and windswept island and its romance is reflected in the many names it has been given over the ages. One is 'great adventure', as it was described by one of the explorers who found it. Another is 'strong wind', and Fuerteventura is also known as the island of the eternal spring. Fuerteventura is part of the Canary Islands and has a population of just over 70,000 people.
It was originally settled by neighbouring North Africans (primarily from Morocco
) the Mahoreros tribe who were cave-dwellers, and after years of European governance the people of Fuerteventura were allowed to rule themselves in 1912. The pleasant climate, which remains between 18-24 degrees Celsius, and the 3,000 hours of sunshine every year means that Fuerteventura is extremely popular with European tourists.
The first hotel was built on the island in 1965, after the construction of the Fuerteventura Airport at El Mattoral. Now there is a proper infrastructure for tourists and especially families with a zoo, a water park and golf courses on the island. The island has miles of coastline and around 150 beaches as well as sand dunes, so is a paradise for people who are looking for sun, sea and sand. It is the second largest of the Canary Islands and can claim to have the longest beaches in the archipelago.
There is a vast array of marine life including dolphins, marlin, turtles and whales and Fuerteventura has long been an attraction for deep sea divers and fishermen. Trade winds in the summer and Atlantic swells in the winter mean that surfers are always visiting Fuerteventura to chase the large waves which appear on the north and west coast.
The windsurfing on the island is also excellent and the PWA world speed and slalom windsurfing event takes place in the south at Sotavento. The volcanic landscape of the island is very intriguing following many eruptions which means the exploration in a four by four vehicle is rewarding. There has not been an eruption for over 7,000 years so it is safe to do so.
Fuerteventura has a number of flats and apartments for rent and visitors may want to consider booking a package holiday so they can get the best deals. There are long and short term rental options and everything on offer including luxury villas which can accommodate large groups of people. Erika Properties, Fuerte Rentals and Lazy Days holidays are just a few of the companies which can help you find what you are looking for.
Best Irish Pubs in Fuerteventura:
We've taken a look for the best Irish bars outside of Ireland
, here are our favourite in Fuereventura;
Irish Pub in Fuerteventura
Finnegans Irish Bar Corralejo
Calle Acorazado España, 16, 35660 Corralejo, Las Palmas, Spain
Calle Antonio Hernandez Paiz, 2, 35660 Corralejo, Las Palmas, Las Palmas, Spain
Calle Sávila, s/n, 35610 Castillo Caleta de Fuste, Las Palmas, Spain
Calle Uno Avenida, 3, 35610 Antigua, Las Palmas, Spain
Calle Uno Avenida, 3, 35610 Antigua, Las Palmas, Spain
Most people visit the island for the beautiful beaches which, unlike Tenerife
, are soft golden and sandy. Whilst the island has several extinct volcanoes, it’s mostly flat and in springtime the plains are covered in beautiful carpets of wild flowers.
Parts of the island are very busy and commercialised, often losing their identity in a desire to offer tourists a taste of home, but away from the big resorts the true Fuerteventura can be found by hiring a car and seeking out tiny villages and hamlets. There, agriculture is still the mainstay and Spanish the only language.