Embark on a journey through the maritime city of Southampton, where historical charm meets modern vibrancy. With Rhinocarhire, hiring a car in Southampton is not just about getting from A to B; it's about unlocking the freedom to explore this picturesque region with ease and comfort. Southampton, located on the south coast of England, is a major port city known for its maritime heritage and cruise industry. Here's some information about driving in Southampton:
Important Information for Your Hire Car
When you choose your vehicle from Rhinocarhire, refer to the section
Important Information which will detail all you need to know including:
- Insurance Coverage: Our rates include basic insurance—collision damage waiver, theft protection, and third-party liability.
- Excess: An excess amount will apply, which is the maximum you'd pay in the event of an accident or theft.
- Upgrade Options: You have the opportunity to upgrade your hire for additional comfort or features, such as GPS and child seats.
- Deposit and Payment: A security deposit is required, and this can be held on a credit card. Full rental payment can also be made using major credit cards.
Breakdown Assistance: For peace of mind, breakdown assistance is automatically included, ensuring that you are never alone in the unlikely event of a vehicle breakdown.
Rhinocarhire offers one-way rentals for those who wish to start their journey in Southampton and drop off their vehicle at a different location. Whether you are heading to London, joining a cruise, exploring the South Coast, or venturing further afield, we provide the flexibility to suit your travel plans.
Recommended Attractions and Routes
Southampton serves as a perfect starting point for numerous day trips and excursions:
- The New Forest: Located just 20 kilometers from Southampton, this national park offers ancient woodlands, open moors, and free-roaming ponies.
- Portsmouth Historic Dockyard: A 30-minute drive southeast takes you to see historic ships like HMS Victory and the Mary Rose Museum.
- Stonehenge: One of the world’s most famous prehistoric monuments is around an hour's drive via the A36.
- Winchester: The ancient capital of England, with its magnificent cathedral, is only a 20-minute drive away on the M3.
Main Roads Leading to Southampton:
The primary route to Southampton from the north is the M3 motorway, which connects to the M25 London Orbital motorway. The M3 becomes the A33 as it approaches Southampton.
From the west, you can reach Southampton via the M27 motorway, which runs along the south coast of England. The M27 connects to the A27 and A3057, providing access to Southampton.
If you're approaching from the east, the A27 and A334 are the main routes that lead into Southampton.
Portsmouth: Located to the east, Portsmouth is known for its historic naval dockyard and waterfront attractions.
Winchester: To the north, Winchester is a historic city with a famous cathedral and cultural sites.
Bournemouth: To the west, Bournemouth is a popular coastal town known for its beaches and entertainment.
The nearest major airport to Southampton is Southampton Airport (SOU), located approximately 4 miles (6.5 kilometers) northeast of the city center. This airport provides both domestic and international flights. For international travelers, London Heathrow (LHR) is the nearest major airport, around 104 kilometers away, which is about a 1-hour and 30-minute drive via the M3 motorway.
Distance to the Cruise Terminal:
The Southampton Cruise Terminal is situated in the city center and is easily accessible by road. The distance from the city center to the cruise terminals is relatively short, typically less than 2 miles (3 kilometers).
Tips for Driving in Southampton:
Be prepared for congestion, especially around the cruise terminal when cruise ships are embarking or disembarking passengers. Plan your travel times accordingly.
If you're cruising from Southampton, consider using the city's park-and-ride services, which provide convenient parking options and shuttle services to the cruise terminals.
Southampton offers a range of attractions, including historic sites, parks, and waterfront areas. Be sure to explore the city before or after your cruise.