Oviedo which is in northern spain is both a municipality and a city, it is the capital city of the prinicpality of Asturias and has a delightful old town. Renting a hire car in Oviedo will give you plenty of scope to drive around and get a feel for the place. You will see from our Booking Engine we work with all the main car rental suppliers in the region to get you the best price possible. Rhinocarhire have been voted Best on the Road for value for money and great service and you will see why when you book with us. You can book online, by phone or on live chat. Whichever way you choose to book, you will find the perfect rental vehicle waiting for you in Oviedo.
Here is an overview when visiting Oviedo with a hire caror your reference :
1. Car Rental Agencies: Oviedo, being a sizable city in the Asturias region of Spain, has several car rental agencies. Many of the major international car rental companies have a presence here, as well as some local ones. It's advisable to book in advance with us online , especially during peak tourist seasons.
2. Driving: Spain, in general, has well-maintained roads. In Oviedo, roads are in good condition, and navigating the city is relatively straightforward. Remember, in Spain, you drive on the right-hand side of the road.
3. Traffic: Like many European cities, Oviedo can experience congestion during peak hours. However, outside these times, driving should be relatively smooth. In the city center, streets can be narrow and parking limited.
4. Signposting: Signs are in Spanish, but they generally follow international standards. Major attractions and directions to other cities are well indicated. It's a good idea to have a GPS or a map application on your phone to help with navigation.
5. Tolls: While the immediate vicinity of Oviedo doesn't have toll roads, if you venture out on some of the country's major highways (autovías and autopistas), you might encounter tolls. Be prepared with some cash or a credit card, although many tolls also accept electronic payment methods.
6. Parking: In the city center, parking can be a challenge. It's advisable to use public parking garages or designated parking areas. Some hotels might offer parking for their guests.
Places to Visit in and around Oviedo:
- Oviedo's Historic Center: The Cathedral of San Salvador and the surrounding old town area are must-visits.
- Pre-Romanesque churches: Such as Santa María del Naranco and San Miguel de Lillo, located just outside the city.
- Asturias Museum: To dive into the history and culture of the region.
- Day trips: Oviedo serves as a great base for exploring the Asturias region. The Picos de Europa National Park is a stunning natural site just a short drive away. Coastal towns like Gijón and Llanes are also easily accessible by car.
- Local Cider Houses: Asturias is famous for its cider. Do try the local drink in one of the traditional cider houses.
Overall, Oviedo and its surroundings offer a rich blend of history, culture, and nature. With a car, you can conveniently explore both the city and the picturesque Asturias region. Just ensure you're aware of local driving customs and parking regulations.