Cheapest car hire in Durban Airport
Van / minivan
*daily rates in Durban Airport based on a 1 day rental (24hr period) and for guidance purposes only.
select [type] from [customtable_price_data] where NodeID='11111' order by january;select [January],[Feburary],[March],[April],[May],[June],[July],[August],[September],[October],[November],[December] from [customtable_price_data] where NodeID='11111' order by january;
*average daily rates based on 7 day rental, search for todays best prices.
Useful things to know about Durban Airport
- The airport is called La Mercy Airport.
- It’s located 22 miles from Durban city centre.
- The airport only opened a month before the 2010 World Cup.
- There was a concern over bird strikes from a colony of Barn Swallows that live near the airport.
- Last year 5m passengers travelled through its terminals.
- Durban is the 3rd biggest city in South Africa behind Cape Town and Johannesburg respectively.
Durban Airport Mini Guide
King Shaka or La Mercy Airport replaced Durban International airport in 2010. The new airport is 22 miles north of the city and handled five million passengers in its first year of operation. The airport has 6,500 parking spaces including valet and disabled and inside there are 72 check-in desks including 18 self-service ones.
Ten airlines fly to the airport, the majority of which are either internal or African. All are scheduled. The following countries fly into Durban Airport UAE
Getting to Your Destination
Currently there is no rail link to the airport but it’s due in the next phase of development. The nearest railway station is less than five miles away alongside the N2 Freeway. There are a number of shuttle buses that operate from the airport; Cheetah takes passengers on to Pietermaritzburg
, Coastal and Super Shuttle take passengers into Durban and along the coastal strip. Taxis are readily available at the airport; use the airport parking attendants to find you one for safety.
If you’ve hired a car from the airport, the companies’ desks are found along the arrivals concourse of the terminal. It is best to pre-book a car before arriving at the airport and if arriving at peak times, send a party member through to line up whilst others collect the luggage. Leaving the airport, the airport access road joins either the N2 in one direction or the R102 and M65 in the other. Both routes will take you into the city.
There’s no airport information desk at the airport, just ask a member of airport staff for help. There is a tourist information desk though and they are happy to arrange onward travel as well as accommodation. They can also help with fax and internet access.
- There is a bureau de change on the ground floor of the international terminal and an ABSA Bank branch in the public concourse along with a branch of Standard Bank. ATMs are also found on each level.
- King Shaka Airport is a shopaholic’s dream with a range of over fifty shops including fashion labels such as Nike and Quiksilver together with other well known brands. Other items for sale include books and magazines, music, health and beauty products and electronics. There is a good duty free outlet selling the usual duty free goods.
- Eating at the airport is good too. There’s a lot of fast food and snacks together with cafes but there’s also a few decent restaurants including an outlet of Spur Steakhouse renowned throughout the continent.
- The airport medical clinic, open 24 hours a day, is found just off the main concourse and can deal with many medical issues.
- The airport is a Wi-Fi hotspot but the service is chargeable on a pay per use basis.
Access for passengers with reduced mobility is good, with ramps, lifts and wheel chairs provided. A dedicated member of staff can accompany you through the airport experience but you must give 48 hours’ notice where possible. Someone is always willing to lend a hand where needed but for your flight comfort and safety you should let your airline know your needs before travelling.
Durban Airport Car Hire Q&A
|Q. Where do I collect the rental car at Durban Airport
A. Most of our cars are collected from the rental agent desk in the arrivals hall, full details are included on your confirmation e-mail, if in doubt, contact us.
|Q. Can I rent a car from Durban Airport if I am under 25?
A. Yes - we can usually arrange car hire for under 25's, however there is often a small daily charge to cover the additional insurance.
|Q. Can I rent a convertible car from Durban Airport with Rhino?
A. Certainly! We have a wide range of car types for rent, including convertibles.
|Q. I need to return the car to Capetown Airport, can I rent a car one way from Durban Airport?
A. Yes, this is no problem with Rhino, just tick the 'return to different location' button on the booking engine.
|Q. Can I rent a 8 seat minibus from Durban
A. Yes, we can arrange 7 and 8 seat rental and you'll be amazed how cheap this can be.
Latest Update from Durban Airport:
- Despite recently opening, the airport already has plans to expand. Some sources say the expansion to a capacity of 45 million won't be completed until 2060 whilst other sources say that plans are in place to stagger the expansion over the coming decades as demand requires.