Gozo is one of the two sister islands of Malta and is a tranquil and charming rural Mediterranean island.
Because there is a ferry between Malta and Gozo it is possible to take your rental car between one island and the other. To get information on times and schedules you should contact the Gozo Channel company.
If you have flown into Malta International Airport
there is a three times daily shuttle bus service between the airport and the ferry.
Hiring a Car in Gozo:
1. Rental Points: While you cant rent a car directly on Gozo, some choose to rent from Malta and take the ferry across. It's essential to ensure that your car rental agreement allows ferry travel if you choose to do this.
2. Driving Dynamics: Gozo's roads are generally well-maintained. However, some rural areas might have narrower lanes. Always drive on the left, and respect speed limits.
3. Parking: Most attractions in Gozo have nearby parking spaces. However, during peak tourist seasons, it's wise to arrive early to secure a spot.
4. Documentation: Ensure you have your driving license, ID (or passport), and car rental agreement at all times while driving.
Gozo's Must-Visit Spots and Scenic Drives:
1. Azure Window Ruins & Inland Sea: While the iconic Azure Window has now collapsed, the site remains a popular spot. The nearby Inland Sea offers a serene lagoon perfect for diving.
2. Ġgantija Temples: Older than the Pyramids and Stonehenge, this UNESCO World Heritage site is a testament to Gozo's ancient history.
3. Ramla Bay: A golden-red sandy beach that's perfect for relaxation. Driving down to the bay offers beautiful countryside views.
4. Ta' Pinu Basilica: A majestic church located amidst Gozo's rolling hills. The drive to Ta' Pinu is scenic, with panoramic views of the island.
5. Victoria (Rabat): The capital city of Gozo, Victoria boasts the magnificent Citadella, a fortified city offering 360-degree views of the island.
6. Coastal Drives: Driving along Gozo's coast is a treat. Routes from Marsalforn to Xwejni Bay or from Mgarr to Xlendi Bay offer striking views of the sea, salt pans, and the island's rugged terrain.
1. Ferry Ride: The ferry trip between Malta and Gozo is a picturesque journey in itself. The views of the Mediterranean, especially during sunset, are splendid.
2. Gozitan Delights: When in Gozo, indulge in local cuisine. Try out pastizzi, ħobż biż-żejt, and the Gozitan cheeselets.
3. Weather & Car Type: Gozo enjoys a Mediterranean climate. If you're visiting in summer, a convertible can make drives more enjoyable. However, for countryside explorations, a compact SUV might be more comfortable.
In essence, Gozo's blend of historical wonders, natural beauty, and rustic charm makes it a unique destination. Renting a car allows you to explore this mesmerizing island at your own pace, ensuring you soak in all its splendors. Whether it's the allure of prehistoric temples, the calming waves of its bays, or the panoramic views from its hills, Gozo offers a refreshing break from the hustle and bustle, best experienced behind the wheel.