Daily Car Hire Rates in Chios
*daily rates in Chios based on a 1 day rental (24hr period) and for guidance purposes only.
*average daily rates based on 7 day rental, search for todays best prices.
Chios Car Hire - Did You Know?
- Chios is reputed to be the birthplace of the poet Homer.
- Most of the island was devastated in an earthquake in 1881.
- Chios Town is called Chora by the locals.
- Chios is renowned for its successful merchant fleet of ships.
- The island is only five miles from the Turkish coast.
Nearest Petrol Stations to Chios
See the nearest petrol stations to Chios below, we recommend you plan head before you return the car to Chios to avoid any Refueling fees.
Chios Mini Guide
The island of Chios is one of the biggest off the Greek mainland. It also gives its name to the Chios strait, a thin stretch of water which separates Chios from Turkey
. It is part of a chain of islands in the North Aegean Sea. The island has many tourist attractions and much history, including the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Nea Moni, an old monastery. There is also another important archaeological site known as Teacher's Rock.
Although Chios has an old town, much of it was in fact damaged during a serious earthquake at the end of the 19th century. However classicists may still want to visit Vrontados in the north of Chios which is where Homer, who wrote the Illiad, was born.
The island is located in the Aegean Sea which means it is surrounded by beautiful beaches and crystal clear waters. According to old legends this was an island of pine trees and snakes, so there is much there to explore. The island has many festivals, often linked to the religious calendar but they go wild on the 11th of November in the capital as they mark the anniversary of gaining independence from Turkey.
We can supply 4x4 vehicles for driving around Chios and this may be preferable in order to get down some interesting dirt tracks in the interior of Chios. You will also find off road cars to be the most convenient way to navigate the mountains which run down the centre of the island. It is worth noting that Chios has its own airport and you can also pick up low cost car hire Chios airport from there.
Latest Update from Chios:
- Chios is known for its festivals and celebrations, one of the best takes place in Thimiana at the end of October when the island's carnival takes to the streets. Little work is done for several days as locals and tourists celebrate before the start of winter.