Daily Car Hire Rates in Amboise
*daily rates in Amboise based on a 1 day rental (24hr period) and for guidance purposes only.
*average daily rates based on 7 day rental, search for todays best prices.
Amboise Car Hire - Did You Know?
- King Francis I spent a lot of time in the Chateau Amboise.
- Bizarrely when you drive outside of Amboise you will notice a tall Chinese Pagoda which was built in 1775 by the Duke of Choiseul.
- In the town there is also a strange statue of a teddy bear standing on top of a turtle.
- Within the Hôtel Joyeuse is the Musée de la Poste which has the history of the postal service in France.
- Amboise is located only 20 kilometres upstream from Tours.
Nearest Petrol Stations to Amboise
See the nearest petrol stations to Amboise below, we recommend you plan head before you return the car to Amboise to avoid any Refueling fees.
Amboise Mini Guide
This small market town is in an area of great history and there are many sights to see including some impressive chateaux. Unforgettably the Chateau Amboise towers over the Loire River with its flags flying above. It has been around since the 11th century and housed both Charles VII and Louis XI. Mary Queen of Scots also lived there. When you walk through the commune of Amboise you can see the unique timbered housing which makes the architecture there so unique.
Amboise is centrally located and so having a hire car will give you the freedom to explore much of the surrounding area at your own leisurely pace. If you haven't booked your accommodation, take a look at the offers on www.amboise-valdeloire.com where you'll find short stay packages that include chateaux visits, accommodation and gourmet dinners all at special prices.
For something which may only be interesting to some, you can go to the Postal Museum - the Musee de la Poste which is located in the Hotel Joyeuse. Another place which is worth visiting is the last resting place of Leonardo da Vinci and this house, which overlooks the Loire River, contains a few of his inventions. This charming little trading town has lost none of its appeal over the years.
In terms of gardens and museums which make pleasant places to do a little sightseeing there is the Musee Maurice Dufresne where more than 300 antique machines such as old cars all brought together. This is just one of a number of places which is within 25 kilometres of Amboise. At the right time of year you can also go to the Chaumont garden festival. Contact the organisers on 02 54 20 99 22.
Latest Update from Amboise:
- Amboise is set in the beautiful Loire Valley. There's no better way to see the chateaux and the river than from a hot air balloon. Several companies offer trips including www.france-balloons.com from 165 euros for a four hour trip.