Compare automatic car hire deals
Whether you need to hire an automatic car to replace your stricken car at home, or you are planning the trip of a lifetime and don’t want the extra worry of getting to grips with a new car, renting an automatic car can be quick, simple and cost effective. Where before automatic car hire was restricted to premium and luxury make and model to hire car, more and more economy and budget hire cars are equipped with automatic transmission driving the cost of automatic car hire down.
How popular are automatic hire cars?
Demand has surged in the last 5 years and car hire companies have been quick to respond. Across the trusted car hire companies we work with we are showing an increase of over 20% in automatic car hire models being made available. Nearly all car hire companies now have an extensive range of automatic hire cars to rent at every single location we offer car hire around the world. Whilst leading car hire companies such as Avis, Budget, Europcar and Hertz have long offered automatic car hire, smaller, regional and local car hire companies like Green Motion, Goldcar and InterRent now offer an equally impressive range of automatic hire cars.
Most popular automatic car hire companies:
- Avis (over 5,500 pick-up locations)
- Enterprise (over 6,00 pick-up locations)
- Europcar (over 20,000 pick-up locations)
- Hertz (over 9,700 pick-up locations)
- Thrifty (over 5,000 pick-up locations)
Where can I hire an automatic?
With over 50,000 pick-up locations around the globe, it would be easier to answer where you cannot hire an automatic rental car as the list is short. All you need to do is search for car hire using our search box at the top of this page, pop in your pick-up locations (and drop off location if different), dates and times for collection and return and hit search and we’ll pull a comprehensive list of the cheapest automatic car hire from trusted rental brands such as Alamo, Enterprise and National.
How to hire an automatic car online
When you search and compare deals on car hire at Rhino, you can easily filter to show ONLY automatic hire cars quickly and easily. Simply use our simple filter to return automatic car hire only and display just make and models from leading car hire companies at the lowest prices.
What type of automatic transmission do rental cars have?
- Traditional Automatic Transmission (often known as torque converter)
- Automated Manual (often known as semi-automatic)
- CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission)
- DCT (Dual-Clutch Transmission)
- DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox)
- Tiptronic Transmission
Depending on the make and model of automatic rental car you book will determine what type of automatic transmission it is likely to have. Generally speaking the cheapest automatic rental cars will have a traditional automatic transmission or CVT gearbox, however as technologies have advanced, many car makers are fitting increasingly complex gearboxes. DCT and DSG transmissions are now fitted as standard to many models from the Volkswagen and Audi group as well as manufacturers such as BMW and Audi.
Most popular pick-up locations for automatic car hire:
Nationalities that book the most automatic rental cars
- USA (approx 90% of rental cars booked by Americans are automatics)
- Canada (approximately 80% of rental cars booked by Canadians are automatics)
- Australia (approximately 45% of rental cars booked by Australians are automatics)
- United Kingdom (approximately 15% of rental cars booked by the British are automatics)
- Germany (approximately 20% of rental cars booked by Germans are automatics)
Most popular locations for automatic car hire: