Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport Car Rental Guide
Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport (GSP) serves as the primary gateway to the Upstate region of South Carolina, encompassing Greenville, Spartanburg, and beyond. Renting a car is an excellent decision if you're keen on exploring this picturesque region with its urban charms and natural beauty.
Car Rental Agencies:
We act on behalf of all the established car rental agencies can be found at GSP, including:
- Advance Reservations: Especially during peak seasons or special events in Greenville and Spartanburg, it's advisable to book your vehicle ahead of time.
- Vehicle Selection: While downtown areas are easily navigable with compact cars or sedans, if you're planning mountain adventures or need more space, consider an SUV or minivan.
- Insurance: Check with your personal car insurance and credit card benefits to see if they cover rental cars, potentially saving you from buying additional insurance at the counter.
Exiting the Airport & Road Conditions:
- Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport is conveniently located near I-85, connecting you directly to the region's primary cities and attractions.
- Generally, roads in the region are well-maintained, but always exercise caution during rain or other inclement weather.
- South Carolina predominantly has a toll-free road system, so you're unlikely to encounter toll roads around Greenville.
Local Driving Customs:
- South Carolina law requires seat belts for all vehicle occupants.
- Keep an eye out for school buses. It's mandatory to stop for them when their stop signs are extended, irrespective of the direction you're heading (unless there's a physical median divider).
- Do not text and drive; it's prohibited by state law.
- Summer: Expect humid and warm conditions. Standard vehicles are generally suitable.
- Winter: The Upstate region can occasionally experience snow or icy conditions. While not frequent, if traveling during the winter, you might want to opt for a vehicle equipped with all-weather tires.
Plenty of gas stations are available in and around Greenville, Spartanburg, and on major highways. Refuel before returning the vehicle as per your rental agreement, unless you've opted for pre-paid fuel.
- Falls Park on the Reedy: A stunning urban oasis in downtown Greenville with scenic views.
- BMW Zentrum Museum: Near the airport, this museum showcases the brand's legacy and the car-making process.
- Paris Mountain State Park: A perfect destination for hiking, picnicking, and enjoying nature.
- Spartanburg Downtown Historic District: Rich with history and local culture.
Both Greenville and Spartanburg offer a mix of street parking, public lots, and parking garages. Always observe and adhere to posted parking signs and guidelines.
Renting a car from Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport offers travelers a world of convenience and the freedom to explore the gems of South Carolina's Upstate region. With some foresight and familiarization with local driving norms, you're on track for a memorable journey.