Exploring Stamford, Connecticut with a Rental Car
Stamford, located on Connecticut's Gold Coast, combines the charm of a New England town with the buzz of a thriving metropolitan area. A rental car is your ticket to experiencing Stamford and the broader region at your own pace.
Proximity to Airports:
Stamford is conveniently located in relation to several major airports.
- Westchester County Airport (HPN): About 20 miles northeast, roughly a 30-minute drive via I-684 and I-287.
- LaGuardia Airport (LGA): Approximately 37 miles southwest, generally a 50-minute to 1-hour drive via I-95.
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK): Roughly 45 miles southwest, typically an hour's drive using I-95.
The nearby I-95 and the Merritt Parkway (Route 15) don't have tolls in Connecticut, but if you're venturing into New York, you might encounter tolls, especially on bridges and tunnels. It's beneficial to have an E-ZPass or expect mail-in tolls for some bridge crossings.
Road Conditions and Traffic:
Roads in and around Stamford are generally well-maintained. However, like any urban area, Stamford has its share of traffic, especially during morning and evening rush hours. If you plan to commute to New York City, it's advisable to be aware of peak times on I-95.
Rental Car Benefits:
- Flexibility: Visit surrounding towns like Greenwich and Norwalk or even venture to nearby states.
- Scenic Drives: Enjoy coastal drives along the Long Island Sound or upcountry routes in the fall to experience New England’s famous foliage.
- Economic: Especially if traveling with family or in groups, a rental car often proves to be more cost-effective than relying on public transport or taxis.
Recommended Attractions and Routes:
- Stamford Museum & Nature Center: Just a 15-minute drive from downtown, it offers a blend of art, history, nature, and agriculture.
- Cove Island Park: A mere 10-minute drive south of downtown offers beaches, a salt marsh, walking tracks, and more.
- Bartlett Arboretum and Gardens: Located about 20 minutes north of downtown, it's a beautiful spot for nature lovers.
- Day Trips: With a car, you're perfectly placed for day trips. Drive to New Haven to explore Yale University, or head to Sleepy Hollow, New York, for a taste of American legend.
Stamford, with its mix of corporate energy and coastal tranquility, is a gem to explore. A rental car amplifies the experience, letting you explore deeper into Connecticut's charm, navigate to nearby states, or simply enjoy scenic drives. When hiring a car in Stamford, ensure you're aware of local driving customs, and have mapped out tolls and parking in areas you intend to visit.
The best rates are found by pre-booking your car online at Rhinocarhire.com as we have searched the market for the best car hire rates in Stamford to bring you the lowest prices on the best quality cars. In addition to low rates, we offer a range of options to make your car hire in Stamford more practical or comfortable such as sat-nav systems or roof bars.