Discover George with Your Rental Car
Set along South Africa's picturesque Garden Route, George is a gateway to exploring the coastal beauty and the fascinating Montague Pass leading to Oudtshoorn. The town boasts a rich history, initially serving as a timber loading port. Named after King George III in 1811, George is an integral part of the engineering marvel that constructed a railway over the Outeniqua Mountains. The city's own airport facilitates easy access with daily flights from major cities like Johannesburg, Cape Town, and Durban.
Road and Traffic Conditions
George's roads are part of a well-maintained network, crucial for accessing the region's attractions. The real-time traffic information is vital for navigating around George, especially if planning to explore the Garden Route or travel towards Oudtshoorn over the Montague Pass.
George experiences diverse weather conditions. This diversity in weather should be considered when selecting a rental car, especially if you plan to explore the scenic routes around George.
- Oudtshoorn: Known for the Cango Caves and ostrich farms, it's a perfect day trip destination.
- Outeniqua Transport Museum: A unique historical site, formerly a railway station .
- Red Berry Farm and Tea Garden: Offering a serene experience amidst nature .
- St Mark’s Cathedral and George Botanical Garden: Reflecting the town's historical and natural beauty .
- Kaaiman's Pass and Wilderness: Scenic routes leading to breathtaking coastal towns .
While the main roads around George, like the N2 highway, are toll-free, there are tolled sections on the Garden Route, particularly after Plettenberg Bay towards the Tsitsikamma Toll Route. The Bloukrans Bridge marks the start of this toll route.
Tips for Safe Travel
- Stay updated on local weather and traffic conditions.
- Be mindful of changing road conditions, especially when exploring mountain passes or coastal routes.
- Familiarize yourself with South Africa’s driving regulations, including driving on the left side of the road.
- Ensure your rental vehicle is suitable for the diverse terrains of the region, from coastal roads to mountainous areas.
Enjoy your journey through the stunning landscapes and rich history of George, South Africa!