Johor Bahru City is one of the most important entry points into Southern Malaysia for tourists and is the gateway to the splendour of this fabulous tropical country and close to the border of Singapore
. There is no better way to explore it than in a hire car from Johor Bahru and we are here to help.
Here's some information about driving in Johor Bahru:
1. Road Conditions: The road conditions in Johor Bahru are generally good. Malaysia has a well-developed road infrastructure, and you can expect smooth and well-paved roads in the city.
2. Traffic: Johor Bahru can experience heavy traffic, especially during peak hours and on weekends. Traffic congestion can be a common issue, particularly at border crossings to Singapore. Be prepared for possible delays during rush hours.
3. Road Signs: Road signs in Johor Bahru are typically in both Bahasa Malaysia (the official language of Malaysia) and English. This makes it relatively easy for English-speaking visitors to navigate the city.
4. Parking: When parking in Johor Bahru, look for designated parking areas or parking lots. Many shopping malls, hotels, and attractions have their own parking facilities, which may charge a fee for parking. Be sure to follow parking regulations to avoid fines.
5. Toll Roads: Malaysia has an extensive network of tolled highways, and some routes in and around Johor Bahru may have tolls. Make sure to have sufficient Malaysian Ringgit (MYR) to pay for tolls, or consider using a Touch 'n Go card for a more convenient toll payment method.
6. Border Crossing to Singapore: If you plan to cross the border into Singapore, be aware that the causeway connecting Johor Bahru and Singapore can experience heavy congestion, especially during peak hours. Consider checking border crossing conditions and have the necessary travel documents and visa if you plan to enter Singapore.
Overall, driving in Johor Bahru is manageable, but you should be prepared for traffic and congestion, especially during busy times. Using navigation apps can help you find the best routes and avoid traffic jams. Remember to follow local traffic rules and regulations to ensure a smooth driving experience in Johor Bahru.
Pre-book the perfect rental car for your stay on our website – there are dozens to choose from, together with any extras you may want such as child seats or roof bars and your car will be waiting for you when you arrive.
Johor Bahru is accessed by the nearby Senai Airport which takes domestic flights from across Malaysia. The airport has plans to become an international airport but currently, international travellers have to fly to Penang
or Kuala Lumpur
and take a connecting flight to Johor Bahru.