Daily Car Hire Rates in Montreux
*daily rates in Montreux based on a 1 day rental (24hr period) and for guidance purposes only.
*average daily rates based on 7 day rental, search for todays best prices.
Montreux Car Hire - Did You Know?
- It’s the home of the famous film festival and the not quite so famous jazz festival.
- There’s a memorial to Freddie Mercury who lived in the city.
- Other famous residents include Shania Twain.
- Montreux is an important centre of the Swiss wine-making industry.
- The town is mentioned in several rock and pop songs.
Nearest Petrol Stations to Montreux
See the nearest petrol stations to Montreux below, we recommend you plan head before you return the car to Montreux to avoid any Refueling fees.
Montreux Mini Guide
Montreux in a Nutshell
Montreux is a city in the district of Riviera-Pays-D’enhaut in Vaud, Switzerland. The city is situated on Lake Geneva at the foot of the Alps.
How do I get There?
is the closest airport and about an hour away by car. The train is a little quicker - you can use the SBB from the airport to Montreux. The SBB is an excellent train service that connects many towns in Switzerland and then further afield on to Europe.
What can I see in Montreux?
Walk around the lakeside and get a feel for the city or take a guided walking tour – look out for the statue of Freddie Mercury in the main square. Visit the picturesque Chateau of Chillon it is Switzerland’s most visited historic monument. Apart from the film festival, there's also one of the world's most prestigious jazz festivals held in the town at the beginning of July.
Out and About
Take a scenic train trip through Hauts de Montreux and then join a forest trail or hike in the Alpine Garden. Enjoy a relaxing day cruise on a paddle steamer and see the vineyards and pretty landscape of Lavaux. For something different, why not spend a night at an Alpage? Stay on a farm and help make the local cheese – you can milk the cows and sample the cheese too.
The White Horse Pub is Montreux’s busiest bar and popular with locals and tourists alike. For good views and a cocktail, go to the terrace bar at Hotel Suisse Majestic. It’s hard not to eat well here – book a table at Le Pont de Brent, a Michelin 2 star restaurant or for a little molecular gastronomy head for Denis Martin’s restaurant in Vevey.
Where can I Stay?
The Le Montreux Palace has Belle Epoque style and was built in 1906. It offers five star facilities and overlooks Lake Geneva – if you want to stay somewhere really special. A cheaper alternative is the appropriately named ‘A Room With A View Bed and Breakfast’ – this 5 star B&B has panoramic views over Lake Leman and the Alps.
Are There Special Events in the City?
The city is famous for its Golden Award of Montreux Festival where awards are given for creative excellence. It is held in April every year. The city also has a Jazz Festival every July and is well known for its Christmas markets in winter.
Latest Update from Montreux:
- If you love trains, beautiful scenery and fine wine, then there's a treat in store for you this summer. From the 1st April to the end of October you can get a combined rail trip and wine tour of the Lavaux wine making region with a ticket called 'RailAway' obtained from any railway station in the Montreux/Geneva region. The ticket also gives you discounts of up to 25% on wine whilst saving you 20% on the standard rail fare.
- Fans of astronomy will enjoy the introduction to the night sky at AstroPleiades on the waterfront of Montreux. The fun continues until the 20th October and you'll get the chance to see images through Switzerland's best telescope.