Daily Car Hire Rates in Vestmannaeyjar Airport
*daily rates in Vestmannaeyjar Airport based on a 1 day rental (24hr period) and for guidance purposes only.
*average daily rates based on 7 day rental, search for todays best prices.
Vestmannaeyjar Airport Car Hire - Did You Know?
- Vestmannaeyjar Airport is a two runway airport.
- It takes 25 minutes to fly from Vestmannaeyjar Airport to Reykjavik Airport.
- Vestmannaeyjar means Westman Islands in Icelandic.
- Vestmannaeyjar Airport offers private flights to Bakki Airport in south Iceland.
- Vestmannaeyjar Airport is a public facility.
Nearest Petrol Stations to Vestmannaeyjar Airport
See the nearest petrol stations to Vestmannaeyjar Airport below, we recommend you plan head before you return the car to Vestmannaeyjar Airport to avoid any Refueling fees.
Why Should I go to Heimaey?
Most people go there because of the fascinating stories and history of the island. It’s the largest inhabited island off Iceland and is volcanic, suffering a massive eruption in 1973 that, whilst destroying much of the main town, nearly destroyed the town’s livelihood by threatening the fishing harbour. The community there was founded by a Viking who was chasing Irish slaves who had murdered his brother. The community of Vestmannaeyjar is named after the Irish, or Vestmann, as they were known. Today, the islanders still rely on fishing but are always wary of the power of the volcano that rules their lives.
How do I get to Heimaey?
The island has a small airport, Vestmannaeyjar, also known as Westman Island Airport. The only flights there are Eagle Air’s daily route to and from Reykjavik
and a number of private jets that use the airport. It’s only minutes into the town from the airport. For international passengers to connect with the flight from Reykjavik, they must fly into Keflavik Airport
and catch the connecting bus to Reykjavik before taking the Eagle Air flight to Vestmannaeyjar.
What can I Expect at the Airport?
It’s very small and looks more like a community centre than an airport but it has two runways. The facilities are virtually non-existent with no banks, no shops and no places to eat at the airport. Most people arrange for friends or a taxi to pick them up from the airport as the island is too small to have a bus service. You can hire a car from the airport and you’ll have little difficulty identifying the whereabouts of the company’s office in the terminal. On your return, be prepared with food and drink although the waiting and flight times are short so if you forget, you won’t starve.
Latest Update from Vestmannaeyjar Airport:
- Vestmannaeyjar Airport has two runways and is operating substantially under capacity. Following the successful introduction of the route to Bakki with a private charter airline, the airport's authorities are working to attract more routes to the airport. Watch this space!