Varna Airport Mini Guide
Varna Airport in Brief
Varna Airport is 5 miles from the centre of Varna and is split into two terminals, one that handles mainly scheduled international flights and one that handles scheduled domestic, budget and international chartered flights. The airport has plentiful parking, short and long term, in the same area but with varying pricing structures. Last year it handled more than 1.2 million passengers.
Options to get There
Over 100 airlines, domestic and international use the airport but there are no UK
based budget airline flights to the airport. Most flights are seasonal as passengers use Varna for the Black Sea resorts. Air France
, KLM (Netherlands
) and Vuelling (Spain
) all operate seasonal routes to Varna.
After Landing - How you can get to Your Next Destination
There’s no rail connection currently at the airport but a bus, number 409, into the city will deposit you at the central station for onward journeys. From the central bus station, routes 8, 9 and 109 will take you to the resorts of Helena, St Constantine and Golden Sands. Within Varna itself, the municipal bus company has departures from each stop every 15 minutes to destinations around the city. Taxis are plentiful at the airport but please make sure you agree a fare before setting off. Car hire desks are located in the arrivals hall of Terminal 1 and are easily found.
Please pre-book your car to ensure you have the best choice and at peak times send a group member through to queue whilst others collect the luggage. The airport is bounded by the A2 motorway to the north and the E70 highway to the south. To get into the city centre, follow either route eastbound. To the northern resorts, head into the city centre then take the E87 northbound. The same road, followed south, takes you to Vargas and the southern resorts.
Public Information and Assistance
In the public area of the arrivals and departures hall you’ll find, clearly marked, the information desk for airport related enquiries and nearby, the tourist information desk which can advise on your onward journey and help you to book accommodation.
Services, Shops and Refreshments
Extra Help for Passengers
- Foreign exchange facilities are available in both terminals and in Terminal 1 there’s a branch of CCB Bank. There are also a number of ATMs across the airport site.
- Shopping at Varna is limited to the very large duty free shop. There, masses of items are for sale including 2,300 different perfume items and a plethora of alcoholic and tobacco products. The store also sells gifts, local Bulgarian products and electrical products.
- Food consists of only hot and cold snack items, coffees and basic alcoholic beverages. A first floor establishment called Tangerine Dream purports to be a restaurant but is just a fancy named café. There is yet another café on the 2nd floor and more cafes after security.
- First aid is provided on an ad hoc basis and if needed, you should contact a staff member for help.
- Free Wi-Fi is available in both terminals connecting to a Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Lost luggage should be reported to a ‘Baggage Reclaim Official’ who patrol the baggage reclaim area.
The airport prides itself on providing the best possible experience for passengers with reduced mobility and many conveniences are provided including deck lifts, braille telephone keypads and staff to assist. General assistance is available for disabled travellers but it is recommended that you inform your airline before travelling so that necessary steps can be taken to assist you.
The unique Varna international airport code is VAR.
Varna Airport (VAR) is the main airport that serves the city of Varna in Bulgaria. It is located in the east of the country but with car hire in Varna Airport you can take advantage of our unlimited mileage offer to drive anywhere you want in Bulgaria.
The country has become increasingly popular for holidays because it is a cheap destination with lots of interesting history. Just over 1.2 million passengers use the airport on an annual basis which makes it a good idea to book a car in advance so that you can guarantee availability.