Daily Car Hire Rates in Aberystwyth
*daily rates in Aberystwyth based on a 1 day rental (24hr period) and for guidance purposes only.
*average daily rates based on 7 day rental, search for todays best prices.
Aberystwyth Car Hire - Did You Know?
- The name means ‘Mouth of the Ystwyth.
- It’s a major centre of learning with its own university.
- Aberystwyth is considered an isolated town being nearly two hours from the next big conurbation of Swansea.
- A fortress was built there at the start of the 12th century seeding the town.
- The city has been called the ‘True capital of Wales’ and ‘The Biarritz of Wales’.
Aberystwyth Mini Guide
Aberystwyth is an old market town in Dyfed, on the west coast of Wales. The town is a wonderful place to go if you want to get away from it all and are seeking some solace. However, because Aberystwyth is so isolated, you will need to have a car to get there and also to navigate your way around the town and the surrounding Welsh coast and countryside. Aberystwyth is at the border of south and north Wales and many Welsh holiday makers go there to enjoy the forests and streams which dot the area.
It is home to the University of Wales and Aberystwyth and the students who flock to this Welsh educational centre boost the town’s numbers from 12,000 up to 20,000 people during term time. The university itself is worth seeing as it has some wonderful old buildings. Indeed it is referred to as the Oxbridge of Wales because of its impressive Gothic, Victorian and classical revival architecture. Tourists also visit during the summer as Aberystwyth has a fine pier and a seaside promenade which are both good places to enjoy any sunny weather.
Aberystwyth is a very picturesque place to visit and this harbour town has beautiful views out over the Irish Sea. It also marks the meeting point of the River Rheidol and the River Ystwyth. Contrary to the name, the River Ystwyth does not actually go through Aberystwyth but around it.
Aberystwyth is bisected by A487, A44 and the B4346 roads. It is not particularly close to any other major towns or airports, though the closest airports are at Cardiff
which are all fairly equidistant. The closest city is Swansea which is 70 miles away. If you are trying to find Aberystwyth with the help of a satellite navigation system then the post code is SY23.
Latest Update from Aberystwyth:
- The Welsh Wildlife Centre in Cilgerran is organising 'Family Fun' days in June this year where you can hunt for bats or be introduced to polecats and ferrets. For those who fear furry creatures, the centre also intends to host wildlife based art and craft sessions. Admission is £4 for adults and £2.50 for children will all the money helping to fund the centre's work.
- For horse racing of a different kind visit Tanycastell for the biggest event in the harness racing year. From the 6th to the 8th July you'll enjoy the thrills and often spills of racing in harness; light buggies pulled along by some of the fastest ponies you'll come across.