Daily Car Hire Rates in Guildford
Van / minivan
*daily rates in Guildford based on a 1 day rental (24hr period) and for guidance purposes only.
*average daily rates based on 7 day rental, search for todays best prices.
Guildford Car Hire - Did You Know?
- Guildford is the county town of Surrey.
- It was founded and grew during Saxon times because of its position in a gap in the North Downs.
- In the 10th century the Royal Mint was located here.
- It was the scene of the infamous Guildford Pub Bombing by the IRA in 1974.
- The town is 27 miles from the centre of London.
Guildford Mini Guide
Why Travel to Guildford?
Guildford is a market town in the county of Surrey that was believed to have been founded soon after the authority Rome
had on Britain was removed. Lewis Carroll who wrote Alice in Wonderland lived in Guildford and Queen Drummer and vocalist Rodger Taylor currently resides there.
Where is it and How Can I Get There?
Guildford is located around 27 miles south west of London
. The nearest major airport is London Gatwick
17 miles away. There are two railway stations in Guildford and a number of A-roads that leads to Guildford from various destinations.
The Beginnings of Guildford?
Guildford was once home to the Royal Mint until the 13th century when it was moved to the Tower of London. It was Saxon settlers who are believed to have founded the town around 410AD.
In and Around Guildford?
There is a very popular art gallery that attracts around 120,000 visitors each year and the Guildford Museum houses thousands of items. The Guilfest is a music festival that is held annually as is the Surrey County Show in May. Surrey Hills Llamas offer the chance to trek around the Surrey Hills with your very own Llama. The areas surrounding Guildford have many places to visit including Shalford Mill which is a short two mile drive. There is also Winkworth Arboretum which is seven miles away and offers a program of events all year round. You're alos not far from Hindhead and the National Trust property of the Devil's Punchbowl. The track is said to be haunted where a traveller was set upon and murdered on the rim of the Punchbowl. The attackers were caught in what is now the Devil's Punchbowl Hotel.
Shopping, Food and Nightlife
The Friary Shopping Centre is located in the centre of Guildford and there are many other smaller shops around the town centre for you to explore. Guildford has a great selection of restaurants, cafes and pubs and many are child friendly. Jamie’s Italian is a restaurant set up by the famous TV chef and is open every day of the week. For the night time, head to the award winning Dusk nightclub with late night opening and regular promotions.
Latest Update from Guildford:
- The opening of the A3 tunnel at Hindhead that was built to provide faster links to London from the south coast has also made Guildford easier to get to from the south. At one point a dual carriageway bypass was envisaged but to protect the area of outstanding natural beauty, a tunnel was promoted as the best but most expensive option.
- As part of the Guildford International Music Festival there'll be a performance of the majestic Requiem by Mozart on the 16th March in Guildford Cathedral. Tickets cost only £10.