Daily Car Hire Rates in Dover
*daily rates in Dover based on a 1 day rental (24hr period) and for guidance purposes only.
*average daily rates based on 7 day rental, search for todays best prices.
Dover Car Hire - Did You Know?
- Dover is a major cross channel ferry port.
- On a clear day it’s possible to see the French coastline from here.
- It has the iconic ‘White Cliffs of Dover’ nearby.
- The town was named after the River Dour on which it stands.
- The colour of the cliffs gave Britain its original name of Albion from the Latin for ‘white’.
Dover Mini Guide
Is There More to Dover Than the White Cliffs?
Yes, although the cliffs, immortalised by Vera Lynn are the main attraction. The town is a major ferry port to France
and its quick and cheap to travel across the channel for some shopping at the Cite d’Europe. The East Sussex and Kent coastline is also very attractive. Within the small town itself, several reminders of its Roman days are evident including a house still standing after 2,000 years. From the tunnels in the under cliff, one of the greatest rescue operations ever carried out was planned in the evacuation from Dunkirk. Back to the white cliffs, they're a great starting point just outside the town for walks and cycle rides over miles of marked trails making your stay in the town one you can use getting fit.
What Should be on my ‘Must-see List?’
Dover Castle makes for a fantastic day out for all the family. It’s been called ‘the key to England’ as invaders have had to overcome it before conquering the country. Two millennia of history are illustrated through the building itself which has a Roman lighthouse, a Saxon church and a keep from the time of the Norman invasion. The castle museum sets this all in context in the imaginative and informative displays and exhibits.
You should also take time to visit the Battle of Britain memorial which is dedicated to those that lost their lives in 1940, protecting the country. Outside the town you have the beginning of the North Downs Way, a long distance footpath that eventually ends near the Thames Valley.
Where’s a Good Place to Meet Friends?
The Cricketers Pub has been a meeting place for the townsfolk for over a century and as well as being known by all locals. In addition they serve great meals and a range of south coast ales. Alternatively, try the New Inn for excellent food in a traditional and friendly setting.
Latest Update from Dover:
- Recently launched, www.whitecliffscountry.org.uk is a great new site with details of what to do when visiting Deal, Sandwich and Dover.
- Dover Castle are hosting a Children's Festival over the Easter weekend from the 29th March to the 1st April where the children can take part in jousting, train as knights and learn about heraldry.