Daily Car Hire Rates in Derby
*daily rates in Derby based on a 1 day rental (24hr period) and for guidance purposes only.
*average daily rates based on 7 day rental, search for todays best prices.
Derby Car Hire - Did You Know?
- Derby was the Roman town of Derventium.
- It became one of the five boroughs of the Danelaw in Viking times.
- The Anglo Saxons called the city Deoraby meaning ‘village of the deer’.
- In 1745 Bonnie Prince Charlie camped here on his way to London to seize the throne.
- Britain’s first water operated silk mill was founded there.
Derby Mini Guide
Derby came to prominence during the Industrial Revolution which took place in the 18th century and Derby was the site of the first water-powered silk mill. Visitors to Derby can make great use of their Rhino hire car and can see the Silk Mill World Heritage Site which is contained within the Derby Industrial Museum. This is a fascinating place to see what life was like during the Industrial Revolution and it also contains information about the quarrying and mining which took place in the region. Derby was also the centre in which the Midland Railway made its headquarters.
Today that industrial tradition is carried on by the major car manufacturing companies of Toyota and Rolls Royce which employ many of Derby’s locals. IT is also a big industry as the company that created the video game Tomb Raider, Core Design, is based in Derby.
With this rich history and many public parks which are well maintained to cater to wildlife, Derby is a pleasant city to spend some time in. Derby’s most popular landmark is the Derby Cathedral which is the third tallest Anglican cathedral tower in England. If the tower is open this is a great place to get stunning views out over the city.
In terms of shopping you should go to Derby market hall where there is all sorts of local produce on offer as well as numerous other goodies. Getting in to Derby by plane most travellers will arrive at East Midlands Airport
where you can pick up an East Midlands Airport car rental as well as there being several pickup points in Derby itself.
Latest Update from Derby:
- Each year Derby hosts a huge Food and Drink Fair in the grounds of Hardwick Hall. This year, the event takes place over the weekend of 26th and 27th May
- An unusual combination of art and history awaits you at Derby Museum this year. The museum has taken 1001 objects from its collection and turned them into an installation called 'The Poetry of 1001 Objects' and a very powerful statement it is too!