Daily Car Hire Rates in Colchester
*daily rates in Colchester based on a 1 day rental (24hr period) and for guidance purposes only.
*average daily rates based on 7 day rental, search for todays best prices.
Colchester Car Hire - Did You Know?
- Colchester is the county town of Essex.
- It’s the fastest growing town in the UK.
- Colchester is the oldest Roman town in Britain.
- It also lays claim to having the UK’s oldest established market.
- It’s a member of the Ancient European Towns Network.
Colchester Mini Guide
What’s Special About Colchester?
It is the oldest Roman town in the UK and was mentioned by Pliny in his writings. The city was once the capital of Roman Britain and was attacked by Boudicca in the revolt of the Iceni. Today the town is growing rapidly, helped by tourism, the service industry and its attraction as a commuter town for London
. It’s also home to Tiptree’s the internationally acclaimed preserve manufacturers!
How do I get to Colchester?
Getting flights to anywhere near there is difficult so most people arrive by train. Colchester Station is right in the heart of the town and there are services from London’s Liverpool Street Station. You can hire a car to get there but the journey along the Essex coast is fairly mundane and often choked with commuters.
What Should I get to see in Colchester?
Because of its fame as a Roman town, visit the Castle Museum to find out all about why the Romans chose this place. From there, explore the rest of the castle, an 11th century building on the site of the Roman temple. For more Roman ruins you have the remains of the Roman walls which can be followed on foot and partway along them, the oldest Roman gate in Britain. The town is promoting it's outdoor attractions as part of a 'Get some fresh air' campaign and everyone is invited to join.
What About Gifts from the Town?
A lot of places sell Roman memorabilia including plastic centurions, and various ‘Roman’ style stationery items. Most people wanting a worthwhile gift head to the little roads off the high street where independent shops sell delightful gifts and confectionery. If you’ve taken the chance to sample the glorious smells from the Tiptree Preserve factory nearby you may be tempted to purchase their gift packs to take home.
Latest Update from Colchester:
- Don't forget that just outside Colchester is Constable country with Dedham Vale being the setting for several of his paintings including 'Dedham Lock'. Many of the settings are little changed since the pastoral days of his time and they make an interesting photo opportunity, trying to get your shot to match the painting.
- From the 19th to the 22nd March you can enjoy the real ale tastes of Essex at the Colchester Castle Beer Festival. The entrance fee of £3 includes your first half pint!