Daily Car Hire Rates in Alicante
*daily rates in Alicante based on a 1 day rental (24hr period) and for guidance purposes only.
*average daily rates based on 7 day rental, search for todays best prices.
Alicante Car Hire - Did You Know?
- There’s a old and popular variety of tomato seeds called Alicante which were first grown in the region.
- Alicante was the last city to fall in the Spanish Civil War and the last remnants of the Republican government left Spain from its harbour.
- Alicante is one of the main stops for cruise liners in Spain.
- Alicante is Spain’s Hollywood with one of the largest film studios in Europe operating there.
- The huge and historically important castle of Santa Barbara was once earmarked for an industrial estate.
- Alicante’s football team Hercules CF play in the Spanish ‘La Liga’.
- Tabarca Island off the coast of Alicante was once a haunt of pirates.
Alicante Mini Guide
Alicante has a brilliant climate with warm sunny winters with minimum temperatures normally only going down to around 16 degrees in winter but warming up to the low to mid 30's in the summer months. Alicante has its own airport with most international airlines operating there, including the low cost budget airline operators. Car hire is available also from the airport. You can easily find flights all year round to Alicante. A ferry runs from the city to the Balearic Islands including Majorca
which are among Europe’s top destinations for sun and fun.
The beautiful beach of Playa de San Juan is a very popular beach destination in Alicante. There is also a harbour in Alicante where you will find numerous bars, restaurants and nightlife. A fairly short journey away are the Caves of Cuevas de Canelobre which are worth seeing, they are huge and capable of fitting whole buildings inside!
Castles, cathedrals and churches are to be found everywhere and serve as a reminder of the city’s rich history and its central role within the Spanish Civil War. It was only after Spain’s former ruler General Franco, the winner of that conflict, died in 1975 that the region was given more autonomy and began to embrace tourism. Since then businesses including bars and restaurants have been able to properly cater to visitors who visit Alicante, some of whom are on their way to the Costa Blanca and other popular areas such as Benidorm
. Within the city and region of Alicante, Alicante airport, ALC, is a very popular place to pick up your rental car. You can get low-cost air-conditioned vehicles but book ahead as more than nine million people use Alicante Airport annually.
Many tourists are drawn to Alicante by its wonderful beaches and the Playa de San Juan is thought to be one of the most impressive in the country. But when you are not soaking up the sun you can immerse yourself into a fascinating culture. Visit the oldest bullring in Spain which was built in 1849 and is still in use, or wander through palaces such as the Gavina which has a gallery containing 19th century paintings.
The old quarter of the city is well worth seeing, but don’t get lost. The labyrinth of streets does hold a reward though, with views across the city affording some perspective. Many people have chosen to visit Alicante because of its location and its reasonable prices, and it is recommended to anyone who wants to see the real Spain.
Best Irish Pubs in Alicante:
Placa de los Luceros, 8, 03003 Alacant, Spain
Rambla de Méndez Núñez, 39, 03002 Alicante, Spain
Avenida pintor Xavier soler n7, 03015 Alicante, Spain
Av. la Rambla, 51, 03550 San Juan de Alicante, Alicante, Spain
Avenida Pintor Xavier Soler, 6, 03015 Alacant, Spain
For those that love golf, you'll be in your element with nearly a dozen in the region to suit a variety of handicaps.
Latest Update from Alicante:
- For four days in June from the 20th, the city will host the Bonfires of St John festival with huge pyrotechnic displays as well as the traditional fires. The festival will be complemented with music, games, food and more. If you're in Alicante at the time, dont miss it.
This spring from the 16th March to the 1st May, you can find out more about piracy in the region at a special exhibition at Santa Barbara Castle. There'll be 3D attractions, information panels and more and with prices of €4 for adults and concessions at €3, it'll be a great value day out.
- Corvera Airport
is to receive its first commercial flight today, replacing Murcia San Javier, the new airport will reduce pressure on Alicante Airport with significantly increased passenger capacity than the old SJV.