Daily Car Hire Rates in Madeira Airport
*daily rates in Madeira Airport based on a 1 day rental (24hr period) and for guidance purposes only.
*average daily rates based on 7 day rental, search for todays best prices.
Madeira Airport Car Hire - Did You Know?
- It was formerly known as Santa Catarina Airport.
- The History Channel program 'Most Extreme Airports' has ranked Madeira Airport as the 9th most dangerous in the world.
- In 1972 the runway length was extended to cope with the popularity of flights to the airport.
- Between 1982 and 1986 the runway was extended again to a total of 1,800m as well as four gates being opened.
- The airport is located only 20 minutes from Funchal city centre.
Nearest Petrol Stations to Madeira Airport
See the nearest petrol stations to Madeira Airport below, we recommend you plan head before you return the car to Madeira Airport to avoid any Refueling fees.
Madeira Airport Mini Guide
Who Visits Madeira?
Madeira is popular with older tourists for its old world charm and low key attractions. It attracts fewer younger tourists as there aren’t the beaches, noisy bars and clubs. There’s a lot to see with the historical and geographical position of the island in the world of exploration and trade. Being volcanic, the few beaches tend to be dark sand but the real draw of the island is the year round mild temperatures making it popular as a winter destination. 2.3 million people used the airport last year, a continuing increase on previous years.
Who Flies to Madeira Airport?
The airport is served by a wide range of airlines both seasonal chartered and scheduled flights. Without exception, all flights are from European countries and include a number of budget airlines including easyJet.
What is the Airport Like?
Interestingly, most of the terminal is underground and can’t be seen. It was considered to be one of the hairiest places to take off from in its early days as the runway ended abruptly at the edge of a cliff. Several clever extensions have now made it less of a fright! The current terminal building, opened in 1973 is functional and has a modern feel to it although it’s a little tired in places.
What Should I do When I Arrive?
The airport has three information desks designated by unusual acronyms. The DRT desk is for tourist information including onward travel and for accommodation in the main city and towns, the RT desk is for specialist countryside accommodation whilst the ANAM desk is for general airport enquiries including access to assistance for passengers with reduced mobility. If you’re catching the bus from the airport it goes from Funchal to Machico via the airport. Taxis are also available for the journey into Funchal. Both means of transport are very cheap costing less than five euros. There is a dedicated airport bus into Funchal but it is more expensive than the ordinary buses and taxis.
If you have pre-booked car hire, the desks are found on level 0 of the airport. Access to the city is very easy and quick. If you need money there is a branch of Banco Santander and a foreign exchange office, called Unicambio, also on level 0.
And When I Leave Madeira?
You’ll be spoilt for choice at the airport with your shopping. There are numerous shops on the four different levels of the airport including a shop selling Madeira wine and one selling football memorabilia. There are duty free outlets on levels 1 and 2 selling the typical range of duty free goods. There are also a number of cafes, bars and restaurants on each level serving a wide range of dishes to suit all tastes and purses. The top floor has a children’s play area with a café/restaurant from where parents can keep watch over their children whilst enjoying a drink or meal. There are Wi-Fi facilities in many areas of the airport, just look out for the signs.
Latest Update from Madeira Airport:
– The airport has recently been re-named after the famous football player Cristiano Ronaldo. Not all of the locals are happy with this decision!
- Travellers to Madeira are predominantly mature holidaymakers and research shows that they are one of the largest groups of car hirers as they value their time and independence. If you are intending to hire a car you'll need to pre-book it to ensure you get your first choice of vehicle.
- On June 3rd, SATA International launch a flight to Funchal Airport from Belfast International Airport giving Irish travellers easy access to the island of flowers.