Daily Car Hire Rates in Akureyri
*daily rates in Akureyri based on a 1 day rental (24hr period) and for guidance purposes only.
*average daily rates based on 7 day rental, search for todays best prices.
Akureyri Car Hire - Did You Know?
- One of the reasons Akureyri grew in importance is because its harbour does not freeze over.
- Akureyri is nicknamed the capital of northern Iceland.
- Akureyri is the second largest urban area in Iceland.
- In 1786 Akureyri received its municipal charter.
- Akureyri is surrounded by mountains which makes it very scenic.
Nearest Petrol Stations to Akureyri
See the nearest petrol stations to Akureyri below, we recommend you plan head before you return the car to Akureyri to avoid any Refueling fees.
Akureyri Car Rental Mini Guide
Akureyri is the most northerly city in Iceland and visitors are sure to be spellbound by this weird, treeless and volcanic landscape. One of the main reasons people visit Akureyri is so they can get a glimpse of the illusive but beautiful Northern Lights, or Aurora Borealis.
There is also the chance to go whale watching there, but, as with your car hire, you should book ahead to reserve. As the third biggest city in Iceland, Akureyri is also thought of as the capital of the north of the country. Driving to or from Akureyri is an experience itself as you take the excellent ring road 1 which circles this island. Check out our drive smart guide to Iceland for more information. We can also offer car hire at Akureyri Airport and this airport is easily accessible via Air Iceland flights from the capital Reykjavik
One of the main pastimes in Akureyri is walking, so take some good boots. You will probably still need your vehicle to get to the best vistas, and always keep warm clothing available as the weather can be quite changeable. Upmost care should be taken that you always know where you are with the help of a compass or GPS, or better still, have a guide with you.
If an Arctic blizzard were to blow in from the sea you could be stranded for long enough that hypothermia would become a real risk. Nevertheless, Akureyri is an adventurous and incredibly rewarding place to visit.
Latest Update from Akureyri:
- This year marks the 150th anniversary of the city of Akureyri and it's celebrating in style. For ten days around the actual date; 24th August until the 2nd September, there'll be festivals, concerts, exhibitions and more. You can even send the city a birthday card!