Daily Car Hire Rates in Ioannina
*daily rates in Ioannina based on a 1 day rental (24hr period) and for guidance purposes only.
*average daily rates based on 7 day rental, search for todays best prices.
Ioannina Car Hire - Did You Know?
- Ioannina is the largest city in the region of Epirus in Northern Greece.
- The city can be found on Lake Pamvotida.
- It’s 300 miles north of Athens.
- Ioannina only joined Greece in 1913 during enosis. Before this it was part of the Balkans.
- Ioannina means ‘The Town of John’.
Nearest Petrol Stations to Ioannina
See the nearest petrol stations to Ioannina below, we recommend you plan head before you return the car to Ioannina to avoid any Refueling fees.
Ioannina Mini Guide
Ioannina is in the north west of Greece and this large city is located in Epirus and more than one hundred thousand people live there.
The city is built around Lake Pamvotis but it is close to the sea as well and so with a hire car there are many nice places to go to for a walk or a picnic. Visit the Venetian style bridge that crosses the stream just outside the city. It's magical in springtime in its forest setting.
You are also not far from the second city of Thessaloniki
, which is well worth visiting.
The city has a long history having been founded in the Byzantine era and it was a refuge for wealthy families after the demise of Constantinople. The Byzantine emperor Justinian is still depicted on the city emblem.
In later years Ioannina took on an important role as it was the centre of the Greek Enlightenment in the 17th and 18th centuries. Today the city is known for having a large university and a thriving student population. The city is attractive to tourists as with most of Greece it has a warm climate and plenty of sunshine.
Although temperatures are not usually too hot they can get quite severe in summer when air conditioning in your vehicle is recommended.
Winters are usually mild but the lowest ever temperature recorded was -13 degrees Celsius.
Some of the landmarks which are worth seeing in Ioannina are the little island on the lake which can be reached by regular passenger ferries. It has an interesting history which is worth discovering.
Latest Update from Ioannina:
- Ioannina has a fabulous amphitheatre and it's best seen when put to its proper use. The best time for this is during the Epirotika Festival that takes place in July and August. This year it begins on the 24th July and as well as many processions, firework displays and more, there are several plays put on at the amphitheatre which are stunning to watch in such classic surroundings.