Daily Car Hire Rates in North Cyprus
*daily rates in North Cyprus based on a 1 day rental (24hr period) and for guidance purposes only.
*average daily rates based on 7 day rental, search for todays best prices.
North Cyprus Car Hire - Did You Know?
Northern Cyprus is known for its beautiful beaches and stunning scenery including byzantine buildings and ancient ruins. It is the Turkish part of the island of Cyprus since its division in 1974. The capital of Northern Cyprus is North Nicosia (also known as Lefkosa). This beautiful town is enclosed with Venetian walls. Nicosia itself is a divided capital, with half belonging to Cyprus and the other half belonging to Turkey. It is possible to walk between the two areas. North Cyprus uses the Turkish Lira for its currency.
North Cyprus - The destinations:
North Cyprus is a popular holiday destination largely due to its wonderful year round climate and picturesque landscape. Kyrenia is the holiday destination of choice for many visiting North Cyprus; it is not only packed full of history but it has some of the best sandy beaches on the island. Guzelyurt and Lefke are predominantly agricultural areas with green fertile expanses of land. These beautiful areas are also historically fascinating and well worth a visit. Famagusta is often visited by those interested in the history behind the partition of the island in 1974. Famagusta is often now referred to as a ghost town due to the abandoned buildings and possessions that have remained untouched since the division.
For more information on the partition of Cyprus, visit our detailed blog at:
Car rental Northern Cyprus:
North Cyprus is the perfect place to hire a car. The small size of the area means you can peruse the sights at your leisure and take most of them in within an easy drive. It is possible to collect a car from a number of locations across Kyrenia including the Marina and Downtown in addition to car rentals being available Ercan Airport in the North or Larnaca Airport in the South. If you have hired your car from the South, i.e. Larnaca Airport it is usually fine to cross the border into North Cyprus. However do check with your booking agent at the time of booking for the latest on this. You may find you are only covered for third party insurance. The best advice is if you are holidaying in the North book your rental car in the North to avoid any discrepancies.
Can I take a hire car from North to South Cyprus?
The quick answer is no. If you hire a car in the north of Cyprus you are not allowed to drive it into the South. If you are driving your own car it is possible to drive between borders, providing you show the required paper work. You will also need to pay for insurance. If you are travelling by rental car from North to South Cyprus, it is possible to leave your rental car at the border and travel through by foot. There are a number of rental agencies located across the border making it possible for you to hire a vehicle for your stay in South Cyprus, if you so wish. Please remember you will need to take out additional insurance for driving once across the border.
Latest Update from North Cyprus:
- The North Nicosia Tour takes place from February 20th- March 3rd. Starting at the Kyrenia gate from 10am.
- Feeling energetic? One of the top walking destinations but also a closely guarded secret is Avakas Gorge reached from Agios Georgios to the north west of Paphos. The gorge, which is eleven miles long, is filled with waterfalls in springtime accompanied by beautiful wildflowers. Even more of a secret is the adjacent Koufon Gorge, more rugged and harder to traverse it's a rarely visited natural masterpiece.
- Visting Paphos ? Check out our guide to the Tomb of the Kings - Paphos
- Read our blog on Cyprus Snakes
, from the Blunt Nosed Viper to the Pink Worm Snake.
- At the beginning of September, Stroumbi hosts the annual Dionysia Festival, dedicated to Dionysus, god of wine. As you'd expect, plenty of wine flows and the atmosphere is very convivial. Phone 26633109 for more details.